• + 1 778-564-3555

Tag Archives: 2021

How to apply for TR to PR open work permit

On April 14, 2021, a new program was announced to aid the temporary residents in obtaining Canada’s Permanent Residency. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) named this program as TR to PR pathway program and began accepting applications under this program from May 6, 2021.

As per IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), the applicants of TR to PR pathway program are now allowed to apply for an Open Work Permit. The open work permits issued under this program will be valid till December 2022.

This decision was made by the government to oblige those who continued to work during COVID-19 crisis. IRCC was also aware of the fact that renewal of temporary resident status would have been challenging for the applicants with LMIA based work permits.

Therefore, certain regulations will be waived as part of this policy to speed up the issue of open work permits. It will act as a bridging work permit for the applicants, while they await results for their PR applications under TR to PR pathway program.

Eligible applicants may apply online or through paper-based applications. An applicant cannot apply for a work permit at port of entry.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible under this policy, applicant must:

  • Have applied permanent residency application under one of the TR To PR policies (Workers in essential occupations (health and non-health), French-speaking workers in essential occupations (health and non-health), Recent international graduates from a Canadian post-secondary institution, French speaking international graduates from a Canadian institution).
  • Be legally authorized to work with a valid work permit, or an authorization to work without work permit.
  • Be residing in Canada at the time of Open Work Permit Application.
  • Have met language requirements for TR To PR pathway while applying permanent residency application.
  • Be lawfully eligible to maintain or restore their status as workers in Canada.
  • Be employed at the time of applying permanent residency application.
  • Apply up to 4 months before current work permit expires.

Please note that the eligible family members (Common-law partner/Spouse/Dependent child over the age of 18 years) of the TR to PR applicants can also apply for an open work permit any time under this program.

The TR to PR program will expire on November 5, 2021, or when the maximum number of applications have been received. So far, the two categories which have reached their maximum capacities are international graduates and essential workers.

Candidates can still apply in the following quotas according to their eligibility:

  • French-speaking International Graduates (no cap)
  • French-speaking Health Care Workers (no cap)
  • French-speaking Essential non-health workers (no cap)

If you need help, Contact Can X Immigration for services like Express Entry, Family Sponsorship, Provincial Nomination, Business Class, Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds, Citizenship, PR Card Renewal, LMIA, Work Permit, Live-In-Caregiver, Postgraduate Work Permit, Study Visa, Study Permit Extension, Visitor Visa, or Super Visa.

Glimpse of Canadian Immigration 2021

Canadian government is set to achieve new heights of immigration in its history in turn boosting the country’s post-pandemic economy. IRCC is actively issuing invitations to candidates through Express Entry under Canadian Experience Class and Provincial Nominee Class.

By far, Canada has rolled mats for over 80,000 new immigrants in the first quarter of 2021. IRCC has also implemented new strategies to expedite processing of Permanent residency applications after experiencing processing delays in the last quarter of 2020.

On 14th April, Canada declared a new way to get permanent residency for international student graduates and essential workers who are effectively contributing to Canada’s economy. Francophone and bilingual candidates outside Quebec also got their own dedicated pathway.

This program came as a ray of hope for 90,000 temporary workers, international graduates, and healthcare workers. The response towards this new public policy has been quite encouraging. Out of three categories international graduates reached a noticeable admission of 40,000 applications in merely 25 hours after opening the online portal. Other two categories (essential workers & health care workers) are yet to reach their caps. Thus, workers employed in essential and healthcare occupations can still make the best of this opportunity.

Further, Canada may raise the preset caps on these pathways as the Immigrant-focused financial recovery plan is at the forefront of Canada’s post-pandemic goals. Before making a final decision, IRCC will thoroughly review the outcome of the program by examining the quality of applications submitted by applicants and frequency of reaching the cap of 90,000 admissions.

Besides creating a pathway for temporary residents to obtain permanent residency, Immigration minister Marco Mendocino is focused towards “Modernizing Canada’s Immigration System”. Currently, Canada’s immigration system is packed down by paperwork and is outdated. In recent developments, the application intake system has been modernized and now many applications can be submitted online, and applicants are able to track progress in their application.

Canada has recently provided approximately $430 million from its federal budget to establish a new digital platform called GCMS (Global Case Management System). This system will be used to save time and increase efficiency in processing of immigration applications.

Canada has added new office space and hired more employees at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia as an effort to process more applications and reunite families faster. The increased capacity will help the IRCC to return to the one-year standard for family class immigration applications for outland spousal, common-law, and conjugal sponsorship, dependent children, adopted children, and other relatives.

IRCC has introduced and extended various policies to navigate the halt caused by COVID-19 pandemic. A temporary policy allowing foreign nationals who are in Canada on visitor status with a valid job offer to apply for an employer-specific work permit was introduced on August 24, 2020, and later extended until August 31, 2021.

Another policy established on July 14, 2020, to exempt foreign nationals from certain requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) was also extended till August 31, 2021. Under this policy foreign nationals (former workers, students, and visitors) were exempted from the requirement to apply for restoration within 90 days of losing temporary resident status.

A new policy was introduced to help former international students impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic while living in Canada, allowing them to obtain open work permits valid for up to 18 months. Government estimated policy to benefit 52,000 Post Grad Work Permit holders, and policy is set to expire on July 27, 202. 

With introduction of new programs and steps towards expediting processing of applications, Canada is fully set to meet its preset target of welcoming 401,000 immigrants.

Canada’s ability to return to more normalcy would significantly increase after easing travel restrictions. The public health and safety divisions of the federal government and provincial governments are planning to lift quarantine for returning Canadians and Permanent Residents by early July 2021. IRCC will be able to consider Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP) candidates once Canada returns to normalcy. We can also expect Canada to welcoming more foreign nationals from overseas and a return to all-program Express Entry draws in the last quarter of 2021.

If you need help, Contact Can X Immigration for services like Express Entry, Family Sponsorship, Provincial Nomination, Business Class, Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds, Citizenship, PR Card Renewal, LMIA, Work Permit, Live-In-Caregiver, Postgraduate Work Permit, Study Visa, Study Permit Extension, Visitor Visa, or Super Visa.