• + 1 778-564-3555

PR Card Renewal

PR Card Renewal

PR Card Renewal

Canadian Permanent Residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return Canada via commercial carrier (e.g., plane, bus, train, or boat). However, you may enter Canada without a valid PR card via the land border in a private vehicle or at an airport via private plane. A permanent resident card (PR card) is usually issued for five years but can sometimes be issued for one year instead. It is valid until the expiry date listed on the card.

If your PR card is not ready before you leave Canada or if you are outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD).

Requirements to renew PR Card

  • To renew your PR card, you must be Canadian permanent resident and meet the minimum residency requirement (730 days out of the last 5 years) in Canada.
  • You must have a valid passport to renew your PR card. If you do not have a valid passport, and it is impossible for you to obtain one, you need to provide an explanation for this.
You should only apply for a PR card if
  • Your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months.
  • Your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed.
  • You did not receive your PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada.
  • You need to update your PR card to legally change your name, change your citizenship, change your gender designation, or correct your date of birth.
You may qualify to renew your PR card if you were/are outside of Canada and do not meet the minimum residency requirements. You may qualify under following circumstances:
  • You are living outside Canada with a Canadian spouse.
  • You are working outside Canada full time for a Canadian company.
  • Humanitarian & Compassionate (H&C) factors may be used to renew the PR Card under exceptional circumstances which were beyond the applicant’s control. H&C factors and/or exceptional circumstances may be:
    • Severe injury or illness outside Canada.
    • Severe injury, illness, or death of a close family member outside Canada.
    • Caring for a relative or de facto relative outside Canada who is a minor child or who is unable to care for themselves.

Urgent processing of a permanent resident card

To qualify for urgent permanent resident (PR) card processing, you must be in Canada and travelling within the next three months due to:

  • A job opportunity.
  • Your own serious illness.
  • The death of a family member.
  • Work related to your current job.
  • The serious illness of a family member.
Documents required for urgent processing
  • Proof of travel showing destination and travel dates (e.g., travel itinerary, a copy of the ticket).
  • A copy of the receipt for the trip (a ticket receipt) with the date, amount paid and payment method.
  • A letter explaining the reason for the urgency.
  • Proof of the urgency (e.g., doctor’s note, death certificate, letter from employer etc.)

Loss of PR status

Loss of permanent residence status is not automatic. It requires a determination by an officer. If no officer decides that PR status is lost, then the person is still a permanent resident. This is especially important for those persons who have an expired PR card and still wish to enter Canada.

Processing Time

New PR Card: 120 Days
Renewal/Replacement: 92 Days