Canada aims to attract more international students as they contribute to economic and social development of the country. Canada hosted over 640,000 international students prior to the start of COVID-19 pandemic.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has stated that it will help international students with the following reforms:
- IRCC will prioritize study permit processing for students who have submitted a completed application online.
- In the light of COVID-19 pandemic, they have launched a temporary 2 stage approval process for international students, who wish to begin their Canadian education program online this fall and, cannot submit a completed study permit application by September 2020.
- IRCC is also allowing international students to begin their Canadian studies online while they are in their home country and will consider that time count towards their Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)eligibility, only if they have submitted a study permit application and if at least 50 per cent of the program is completed in Canada.
Reason to help international students
Canada covets international students and IRCC acknowledges that COVID-19 pandemic is creating uncertainty for international students to begin their programs for the Fall 2020 academic year, so they are rolling out measures to facilitate study permit process. These measures will assist students to commence their studies this fall at a Canadian designated learning institute.
How to get a pre-approval for a study permit?
IRCC will provide an approval-in-principle for study permits if students pass the first stage. The two-stage assessment process will be applied to applicants at all levels of study whose program is starting in the fall semester or earlier and who submit, or have already submitted, a study permit application online on or before September 15, 2020.
At the initial eligibility stage, officers will assess:
- Letter of acceptance
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for those destined for a learning institution in Quebec)
- Proof of funds
- That the applicant is a bona fidestudent who will leave Canada when they no longer have legal temporary or permanent status
- Family ties to Canada
For the admissibility stage, before a final decision is made, officers will review the following:
After receiving final approval for their study permit, students will be able to travel to Canada.
IRCC has made several temporary policy changes to support and reassure international students as international student attraction is beneficial to both, the students and to the Canadian economy.
International students attain world class education in Canadian learning institutes, with hands on academic learning and a highly dynamic approach. After completing education, students can gain a PGWP and gain work experience which will help to obtain permanent residency through Express Entry, Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), and many other pathways.
According to IRCC, in year 2018 Canada accommodated over 650,000 international students at the post-secondary education level in the year 2019 and over 60,000 former international students become immigrants each year.
International students contribute $22 billion annually to support the Canadian economy which in turn facilitates 170,000 jobs in Canada.
How Can-X can help?
- Each study program has different set of requirements. We help clients in selecting suitable courses and/or programs based on their educational background, interest and long-term goals.
- We help clients in getting a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
- We prepare and submit the student visa application on the behalf o the client.