• + 1 778-564-3555

Category Archives: exit

Amid Coronavirus outbreak Canada releases special measures for immigration

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has put special measures to assist candidates affected by the outbreak of coronavirus.

Canada will accept applications for permanent residency and will continue to welcome candidates to submit their Express Entry profiles. Express Entry draws will be held and invitations to apply for permanent residence will be sent. IRCC will not refuse PR applications if the applicant cannot provide documents due to disruptions related to COVID-19.

In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Canadian Government had placed travel restrictions till June 30, 2020 however, there are exemptions and the following people may travel to Canada:

  • Canadian Citizen
  • Canadian Permanent Resident
  • Temporary Foreign Workers
  • International student who has a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020
  • Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident (spouses, common-law partners, dependent children, grandchildren, parent or step-parent, and guardian)
  • Permanent Resident whose application was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but haven’t travelled to Canada yet
  • Transiting passengers
  • Members of the Canadian forces, visiting forces, Department of National Defence and their immediate family members
  • Accredited diplomats and immediate family members (include North Atlantic Treaty Organization [NATO], those under the United Nations Headquarters Agreement, other organizations)
  • Air and marine crew members
  • French citizens who live in Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and have been in only Canada, the US or Saint-Pierre and Miquelon during the 14 days before the day they seek to enter Canada
  • Any person who does not pose a significant harm to public health, in the opinion of the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, and who will provide an essential service while in Canada
  • Any person whose presence in Canada is in the national interest, in the opinion of the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship; Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness; or Foreign Affairs
  • Any person who is coming at the invitation of the Minister of Health for the purpose of COVID-19 assistance
  • Any person whose purpose is to make medical deliveries

But you can board your flight to Canada!

  • only after your health is checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID‑19
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident (Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, PR card or Canadian passport and any other document proving relationship)
  • Holders of confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) should present Permanent resident visa and COPR to airline
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

When you arrive in Canada by air or land, your health will be assessed before you leave the port of entry.

 You must isolate for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Permanent Resident Applicants

If your permanent resident application has already been approved but you can’t travel to Canada before your documents expire due to quarantine measures in place, use the IRCC Web Form to let IRCC know why you can’t travel. Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web Form again to let IRCC know and they can provide you with information what to do next.

All in-person permanent resident landing appointments have been cancelled until further notice. All landing appointments will be done by telephone whenever possible.

Citizenship Applicants

 All citizenship events have been cancelled until further notice to keep everyone safe. This includes:

  • citizenship ceremonies
  • citizenship tests and retests
  • hearings (including videoconference hearings)
  • interviews
  • citizenship events in our temporary offices (itinerant service trips)

However, IRCC is still accepting new citizenship applications.

Biometrics at Service Canada locations

 Service Canada has temporarily stopped collecting biometrics until further notice. Biometrics deadline has been extended to 90 days.

Canada and the U.S. have closed their borders on mutual consent to non-essential travel w.e.f March 18, 2020 which include recreation, tourism and immigration purpose (renewing a work, study, or visitor permit, or to activate permanent resident status).

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) applicants now allowed to work awaiting decision on their PGWP application

Students who have completed their program of study are now allowed to work while they are waiting for a decision on their post-graduation work permit (PGWP) application.   International Graduates who are eligible to work full time without a work permit will be able to maintain their ability to work legally in Canada even if they leave and re-enter the country. International students must apply for their PGWP before their study permit expires in order to be allowed to work full time.
Post-Graduation Work Permit eligibility requirements: To obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), the applicant must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. They must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). They must also submit clear evidence that they meet all of the following criteria:

  1. They have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  2. They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application.
  3. They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.
  4. Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:
  • They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit.

Contact us for assessment and more information

New Entry/Exit Program Instructions from IRCC

The Entry/Exit Program allows for the collection and sharing of entry and exit information of travellers entering and departing from Canada. Access to entry and exit information in the Global Case Management System (GCMS) will be based on an employee’s security clearance and organizational requirements to carry out day-to-day work activities. IRCC will obtain accurate and objective entry and exit information from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to support the administration of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act and the Canadian Passport Order.

IRCC will be able to query the CBSA’s Entry/Exit Information System directly to

  • verify residency requirements to process an ongoing application to objectively verify the information provided by the client, such as applications for grants of citizenship (CIT) or permanent resident cards (PR cards)
  • verify if a temporary residence applicant may have previously overstayed their allowable period of admission in Canada
  • assist in an investigation into an individual’s entitlement to a Canadian travel document

In addition, IRCC will be able to use entry and exit information to

  • verify that sponsors are residing in Canada where required by law
  • verify relationships and compliance with conditions for spouses and partners applying or admitted under the family class
  • verify if a refugee claimant entered Canada using their travel documents
  • support investigations into possible fraud in relation to immigration, citizenship, and passport (PPT) and travel document programs
  • verify residency requirements to validate if a medical examination is required